Saturday, March 21, 2020

SELAH, A MUSICAL REST



In this fourth week of Lent the scripture reference is Psalm 23. Unbelievably so, it is a most fitting scripture for today.  In the Bible, Psalms is a book of songs written and sung in Biblical days by shepherds of flocks and many are still sung today as hymns. At the end of many of these Psalms is the word Selah. 
Someone asked the other day what that means. Some think it to mean Hallelujah, Alleluia, Praise to the Lord, or Amen. Several dictionarys list it as a Hebrew word meaning "Musical Rest". A pause, a moment of rest and that is certainly what we are doing right now. Schools are closed, many businesses are closed and people are asked to stay home to delay the transmission of COVID 19. Churches on the other hand have maybe closed their building doors but not their ministry. They are finding new ways to continue fellowship and sharing the word to God. 


Talking to a friend the other day we laughed about having actually attended more services last Sunday than usual since we were home we listened to sermons from several sources. Isn't that something? But many yearn to get back to worshiping and focusing on Lent.
I have noted a few times that it is ironic we are going through this during Lent and many feel like they are sitting in a tomb waiting for the stone to be rolled back. Understand, when it does expect a celebration beyond celebrations to take place as we return to fellowship in person and rejoice!! Its hard to experience a stop to a normally busy life, but here we are. So how to cope. you could panic, feel fear and anxiety OR you could embrace SELAH, a musical rest, a time to slow down and refocus on some important things. 
Family - a great time to do family devotionals, read the Bible, discuss it and Pray
Relationships - stay connected by phone, email, mail, on line, in anyway possible.
Bible Study - find ways to continue Sunday School & small group Bible study
Prayer - there is more time to pray, make a list, find a time and place daily
Your walk with God  - reflect on where you are at in your relationship with God.
Such a powerful song, listen closely, take it line by line and ponder its meaning in todays world and in our lives:

Psalm 23
 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Here is a beautiful rendition of this Hymn, The Lord is My Shepherd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKvTPzJFf3M



  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The World of Prayer

 "Step into the world of prayer. Quiet your mind and open your heart. God will whisper his will for you, let Christ comfort, and heal y...