Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Hymns and Such

What's YOUR Favorite Hymn?
 
I woke up to the sound of rain and thunder, not unusual this time of the year but it reminded me of the mixed metaphor that presents. Rain - the water of life for crops, plants, animals and humans vs the grey skies and tumultuous sounds of thunder. Which of these comes to mind for you today? Psalm 42:1 says, "As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God."
Take a moment this morning and ponder how effective is our yearning for God in our lives. Do our souls truly pant for God. 
I love music and there are so many hymns that for one reason or another touch my heart. When asked what's my favorite hymn, so many come to mind. In contrast to the music video attached to this post, the Hymn, "Just a Closer Walk with Thee" came to mind this morning as it speaks volumes to this time during Lent, this time in our world, this time in my heart. Its Lyrics are a cry to God for closeness. Amazingly so, it is one of the most used hymns for funerals and has been recorded most often as a Gospel Spiritual or in the Country genre, but in fact applies to everyday life.
 
1 I am weak but Thou art strong; Jesus, keep me from all wrong; I'll be satisfied as long As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
Refrain: Just a closer walk with Thee, Grant it, Jesus, is my plea, Daily walking close to Thee, Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
2 Thro' this world of toil and snares, If I falter, Lord, who cares? Who with me my burden shares? None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee. [Refrain]
3 When my feeble life is o'er, Time for me will be no more; Guide me gently, safely o'er To Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore. [Refrain]
 
What is YOUR favorite Hymn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The World of Prayer

 "Step into the world of prayer. Quiet your mind and open your heart. God will whisper his will for you, let Christ comfort, and heal y...