Thursday, August 9, 2012

After the Storm

This blog picks up where Papi left off. (see http://www.aquaticworlds.net/1/post/2012/08/storms-and-spices.html to catch up). 

Hurricane Ernesto was a great exercise in storm preparation and I am very impressed with the folks here in Corozal for taking ample precautions. Those who have them put up their storm shutters, although the hotel next door did not take down the roof top sign like they usually do, so we kept a watchful eye out for that becoming a projectile. Everyone "hunkered" down inside and for at least one night there was no loud music blaring from homes or local bars (the curfew includes prohibiting ANYONE from selling alcohol - SMART!!), no groups of people coursing up & down the bay - it was quiet, ahhhh.  So having everything put away, tied down and stored, we kicked back as the sun went down to await "Ernie" (I think we're good friends now so I can call him that). 

Along about 7pm, we hear an oh so familiar whining at the gate (and I mean whinny like a spoiled child) only in this case it's the whine of an old canine friend who seeks us out when he's scared, threatened or needs shelter. Sam felt the storm coming and knew he could find safe harbor at our house. His owner NEVER lets him in and he has to work hard to find shelter completely void of inclement weather. It was early enough, so attempts were made to encourage Sam to "Go Home", but he was having none of that and as the rains started we let him in. There wasn't a lot of thunderstorm type weather, but I am sure animals can feel the pressure change and it unnerves them. Sam stayed outside the porch under the overhang until the rain started filling that space, so on to the porch he came. Of course by now Khan & Annie have moved INSIDE the house. 

Understand we live in a very small house. Its comfortable for us but it is small. Cross ventilation is good except when you have to shut the shutters due to rain. Eventually (trust me it was after I went to sleep) the porch was not enough shelter so now there are 3, count them T H R E E wet dogs in the house with no cross ventilation.

Each one was given their individual space & a towel to lay on. Annie next to Charles side of the bed, Khan alternated between the bathroom floor and the 4' x 4' space in the kitchen and Sam closest to the now closed & locked side door. By morning when I got up the smell of wet dog was, ..... HORRIBLE. So I went out to the porch. The rains were coming in bands so there was time in between to be on the porch.  As I stood there I couldn't help but notice how clean the screens looked, as dust, dog hair and dirt over time make them quite dirty.  Oh nice I think, my friend Ernie cleaned the screens!

Then I notice were all the dirt went, .... to the window sills, down the wall and onto the tile floor. Hmmmm, looks like a job for F A B U L O S O!! Now we still have 6 more hours of storm weather associated with Ernie, but with everything being all wet anyway, why not start the clean up now!!! I won't even have to bring the hose around, I will just wait for the next band of rain for rinsing. So with bucket in hand of fabuloso with a little bit of bleach mixed in, I start wiping down the window sills, lower walls, remnant items left on the porch that got splattered and then finally the floor. Mops don't work on the tile on the porch it has a rough surface, so the broom is the tool of choice. I felt like Mary Poppins and the all famous "Singing in the Rain" song whistled through my head as I made progress on the porch. Of course I changed the words to be CLEANING IN THE RAIN. As I finished up I was glad nobody was on the street as surely they would enter me in a wet T-shirt contest for the "over fifty" NO, not a pretty site!!!!

As the wind & rain died down, our canine guest were OUSTED from the house and I got to work on the inside. Top to bottom Fabuloso & Me. I can't remember being this happy, to open ALL the shutters, re-establish cross ventilation and by 6pm life returned to normal.

Yes, Sam finally went home about 5pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

The World of Prayer

 "Step into the world of prayer. Quiet your mind and open your heart. God will whisper his will for you, let Christ comfort, and heal y...