Monday, March 2, 2015

Self Propagating Gardens Part II

The next flowering plant that will reproduce on its own is one I call Dawn & Twilight Bloomer. 
The stem reminds me of the geranium family in that you can break off a branch at the ribbed joint, stick it in dirt and it will sprout roots & grow, but it also produces seeds (following a bloom), that will naturally fall to the ground to grow or you can harvest these seeds and plant elsewhere. As in my last post, all I do is spread them on the ground where I want them to grow. There is no need to do all that fancy potting & transplanting business. I just let mother nature do what she does best.

The seeds look like peppercorns (black & tan variegated). Most of them are solid black, but out of an estimated 25 seeds, one will be striped and be more oval. I do not know the meaning of this other than maybe there is a male & female plant. Yep, I make this stuff up as I go along, but wouldn't be surprised if I am right. The new seedlings look all the same regardless of whether it started from a black or striped seed. 

The new seedling germinate and its first few leaves will look like this.  They grow & bloom best in shady areas and around the base of larger plants than shade it. If they have something supporting them, like up against a wall they can get as tall as 3 feet and have a spread of 2 feet. 

Next blog (Part III), will be about creating new plants from a stem of an existing plant. So easy to do and you may never go to the nursery again to buy plants. Instead you may find yourself knocking on a neighbors door to ask if you can have a "clipping" of one of their plants. It's a common practice here in Central America.

Happy Gardening!

"Time in the garden, rejuvenates the earth & soul" 
Catherine Thomas March 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment

The World of Prayer

 "Step into the world of prayer. Quiet your mind and open your heart. God will whisper his will for you, let Christ comfort, and heal y...